MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (MMA)
Our Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) class is a 60 minute skills, drills, fitness and sparring class (for those students that are ready to spar).
*Please note that you are not forced to spar and our sparring is a progressive process that you are introduced to when the coach believes (and you agree) that you are ready. Essentially we teach you how to spar safely and how to look after your sparring partner. We then slowly increase the intensity and resistance to the level that you are at. We also encourage the use of a range of protective equipment to help protect you and your team mates. Safety, sustainable training methodologies and a fun and friendly training environment are four of our top priorities.
What does that mean?
We help teach you the fundamental skills & fitness required to be an MMA hobbyist or more dedicated MMA athlete interested in competing.
Although MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, MMA has become its own style of martial arts based on the ruleset employed within the competition arena (on the mat, in the ring or in the cage).
You will learn to become a holistic all-round martial artist and combat sportsperson. You will learn all the fighting ranges, Stand-up (punch, kick, elbow, knee), The Clinch (controlling your opponent in grabbing range while standing – close quarters), Takedowns/Throws (efficiently getting your opponent to the ground), Grappling – controlling on the ground (Brazilian Jiujitsu & Submission Wrestling on the ground through to submissions such a joint-lock or choke).
In essence MMA could be described as an integrated system of fighting. We integrated some of the most popular, well known and pressure tested combat sports in the world such as Boxing, Kickboxing/Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiujitsu and Submission Wrestling.
We then ensure that you use those skills in a variety of ways during the class to raise your heart rate and get a cardio workout, while learning to use your skills against a cooperative partner and later against a resistant opponent. You will learn to apply your skills in a safe and progressive environment via sparring with a partner in class (you will need MMA and/or Boxing Gloves, Muay Thai Shin Guards, Mouth Guard, Groin Guard etc when sparring.
What’s does a class look like?
- Shadow Boxing
- Partner Skill Building Drills (Stand-up and Ground-work)
- Partner Pad Work
- Partner Drills on the ground AND/OR Standing up
- Heavy Bag Rounds (e.g. 3 min round)
- High intensity finish
Like the majority of our classes, our MMA class is beginner friendly.
PLEASE NOTE: We are members of the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation of Australia (IMMAFA) and we have specially designed Youth MMA classes starting soon (late February, early March 2022). Safety is our highest priority and there is intentionally modified MMA rules to increase the safety of Youth MMA athletes.
We offer a state of the art training facility and a family friendly environment.
What equipment do I need?
- MMA Gloves
- Boxing Gloves (optional addition for boxing focussed sessions)
- Mouth Guard
- Shin Guards
- Hand Wraps
- Water Bottle
- 2 x Towels (one for you & one to wipe down any equipment you might be using or the mats underneath you)
Do we train fighters?
- The majority of our members are everyday people like you and me. They come from all walks of life, are a variety of ages (young and older) and are generally training for fun and fitness.
- We also have members who are more focussed on the competitive side of combat sports. When these members train in this class, they are doing it to improve their personal skill set and to get a fitness workout.
- MMA competitions / tournaments are available for those members and students who wish to compete in MMA. There are various tournament circuits with various rulesets to suit different types of athletes.
What do I need for my first class?
- Comfortable clothing / Gym wear. (You will get hot and may well work up a sweat).
- We recommend wearing footwear that is easy to put on and take off such as slides or flip-flops. We do not wear shoes or socks on the matted area.
- Water Bottle
- Towel (x2)
- If you have boxing gloves or MMA gloves please bring those with you.
- If you don’t have MMA or boxing gloves, I can arrange to lend you a pair to use for the night. You will need to wear ‘inner gloves’ for hygiene reasons and we spray our gloves with a disinfectant before and after use.
Do you sell MMA gear?
- Yes we have a range of MMA gear in stock and can order gear in if we don’t have your sizing available.